Veggie-Packed Nacho Recipe
This veggie-packed nacho recipe is loaded with nutritious ingredients! This delicious and healthy nacho recipe is perfect for a party or for an after school snack option. It’s high in both fiber and protein, so will get you full and keep you for longer!
What You’ll Need to Make It
- 1 bag (16 ounces) chickpea chips
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup bell peppers (red, yellow, orange and green), thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup low-fat pepper jack cheese, shredded
Nutrition Breakdown: Why these veggie-packed nachos are healthier than the classic
- Chickpea chips: instead of regular chips which are fried and lack nutritional value, chickpea chips contain more fiber and protein because they are made from just chickpeas! You could also use a black bean based chip instead or ones made from lentils!
- Black beans: are an excellent source of plant-based protein. You don’t need to add meat to your plate to every meal to get in enough protein, you can get it from plant-based sources like beans too! Beans are one of the cheapest protein options you can choose too! Typically just $1 per can. Be sure to choose no-salt added canned beans to limit your salt intake.
- Cherry tomatoes: tomatoes add a burst of color, vitamin C and antioxidant lycopene. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant and according to past research published in the Journal of Foodservice, contain lots of it!
- Persian cucumbers: crunchy Persian cucumbers are so fun to add to any dish. They are smaller in size compared to English cucumbers, and have a thinner skin that you don’t need to peel off, according to the Kitchn. Cucumbers are also one of the lowest calories veggies and are high in water content packing 95% water according to the data provided by the United States Department of Agriculture(USDA).
- Bell peppers (red, yellow, and orange): many people don’t know but bell peppers are quite high in vitamin C, for example 1 cup chopped bell peppers meet your daily values for the immune supporting vitamin, per USDA data.
- Pepper jack cheese: low-fat and non-fat dairy can be included into a healthy diet. Pepper jack cheese adds protein and bone-building calicum to this nacho recipe. Plus you can’t have nachos without some cheese!
How to Make Veggie-Packed Nachos
- Spread chickpea chips out on a big platter or plate
- Top with black beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- Optional step: Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F until cheese is melted and bubbly
Veggie Packed Nachos
- 1 baking sheet or large plate
- 1 bag chickpea chips
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced
- 2 persian cucumbers sliced
- 1 cup bell peppers red, orange, yellow, green
- 1/3 cup low-fat pepper jack cheese shredded
- Spread chickpea chips out on baking sheet or plate
- Top with black beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and cheese
- Optional step: Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly