Take a bite into this super creamy and zesty baked tilapia taco recipe! It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish! And as you wait for the tilapia to cook you can whip up the veggie-packed rainbow slaw, loaded with 4 different veggies ( hello- nutrients!) and blend together a 3-ingredient avocado creme you can drizzle or drown your tacos with!
These tacos are perfect to make this month, because October is National Seafood Month! So it’s time to celebrate seafood and make sure you are eating lots of it! The United States Dietary Guidelines, American Heart Association and World Health Organization all recommend for Americans to consume seafood at least twice a week. Why? Seafood is highly nutritious, not only is an excellent high quality protein option, it’s also loaded with healthy fats! And it’s also one of the very few foods that contains vitamin D. Plus fish cooks so quickly, so easy to make for a speedy weeknight meal!
What You’ll Need to Make the Tilapia Tacos
- 1 to 2 filets of tilapia, fresh or frozen
- Seafood seasoning or blackened seafood seasoning, I used the Frontier Organic Seafood Seasoning, Blackened
- Red cabbage, or green, or you could use a pre-shredded one
- Bell peppers, 1 orange and 1 red
- Roma tomato
- Red onion
- Greek yogurt, non-fat or low-fat
- Olive oil, extra virgin
- Cumin, optional
- Hemp seeds, optional
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowls
- Baking pan
- High speed blender, optional
- Tilapia: excellent high quality protein option that’s also lean, meaning low in fat. Plus, it cooks super quick can be done in under 15 minutes. It has a mild taste, so any picky eater might be willing to give it a try, you can add your favorite herbs and spices to it, or simply just flavor it up with some lemon zest.
- Rainbow slaw: this super food slaw contains four different veggies so it’s a nutritional powerhouse, one way to get in your daily veggie servings! Its packed with red cabbage, two types of bell peppers, a tomato, and red onion- all high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and dietary fiber. The dressing is simple just olive oil, salt, pepper, lime juice and cumin if you desire. You can also add avocado for some healthy monounsaturated fats, and hemp seeds for those omega-3s, but both are optional to add.
- Avocado cream: skip the tartar or mayo sauce, make your own extra creamy avocado crème. All you need to do is mash an avocado with non-fat or low-fat Greek yogurt, and lime juice. You can drizzle (or drown) this on just about anything. You can even use this recipe instead of salad dressing on top of kale or romaine leaves.
How To Make It
- Pre-heat your oven to 390 degrees.
- While its pre-heating, pad your tilapia filets down with some paper towels to remove some of the moisture and sprinkle with seafood seasoning.
- Once pre-heated let your filets cook for 10 minutes and flip after 10 minutes and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- While your fish is cooking, prep your slaw- slice your cabbage, bell peppers, tomato, red onion into thin slices.
- Add avocado slices, olive oil, salt, pepper, lime juice and mix all together. Top with hemp seeds if desired.
- Mash together ½ avocado with Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper and cumin if desired or throw into a food processor until reaches desired smoothness.
- Then assemble your tacos, heat up a flour or corn until warm, add cooked tilapia, slaw, and avocado cream. Top with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice, and enjoy!
The Best Tilapia Tacos with Veggie-Packed Rainbow Slaw and Avocado Creme
- 1 knife
- 1 cutting board
- 1 mixing bowls
- 1 baking pan
- 1 high speed blender optional
- 2 fillet tilapia fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp seafood seasoning Frontier Organic Seafood Seasoning, Blackened
Veggie Packed Rainbow Slaw
- 1/2 red cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 orange bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 lime juice
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds optional
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin optional
- 1/3 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin optional
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
For the tilapia
- Pre-heat your oven to 390 degrees
- While its pre-heating, pat your tilapia filets down with some paper towels to remove some of the moisture and sprinkle with seafood seasoning
- Once pre-heated let the fish fillets cook for 10 minutes. Flip at 10 minutes, and let cook for another 5 minutes
For the veggie-packed rainbow slaw
- While your fish is cooking, prep your slaw. Thinly slice your cabbage, bell peppers, tomato, red onion and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add avocado slices, olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin (if using), lime juice to your mixing bowl, and mix all ingredients together. Top with hemp seeds if desired.
- Mash together ½ avocado with Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper and cumin, if desired. Or throw into a food processor until reaches desired smoothness
- To assemble the tacos, heat up a flour or corn until hot oven for 1-2 minutes, add a piece of cooked tilapia, desired amount of slaw, and a spoon or two of avocado creme.
- Top with cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime juice, and EAT!